A chilled Filly

Tuesday 3 January 2017

Great ride today

For all those who have followed my story with Filly, the ups and the depths of down I'm pleased to report that finally (touch wood) it all seems to be coming good at last.
Her left canter has always been a cause for concern and this is what lead to the original navicular diagnosis. But recently she has been getting better and better.

Today we went to the school and just played around slowly getting her used to the spurs as a signal which is going really well. To start with, a couple of rides ago, she hated them and kept trying to bite my boot. But I patiently just rubbed her with them. They are a western spur with a very short rowl. Nothing sharp, a bit like a massage roller. So I just sat and rubbed her up and down until she went "actually that's quite nice really". Then there was the spot where she said "they are nice but you are not using those things to tell me what to do !!". Then there was acceptance that actually they made my leg signals far less confusing and we can work together with them.
The result has been a very much more active Filly who can now see merit in not pushing on my leg but acting as a partner and following my feel.

Once the other two riders left the school we moved up into trot and then canter on the right lead. And what a canter. Fast and relaxed with lovely flowing corners. And so smooth :) :) . Not collected or even flexed as yet, I'm still working on rhythm and relaxation at canter but that will come in time.

Switched to left canter. Not as smooth as right but about as good as right was not long ago. Again very fast and with a sense she was trying to relax but couldn't quite find it.

All in all a great ride which has left me smiling from ear to ear.

No comments: