A chilled Filly

Saturday 14 March 2015

A silly accident and positive news from the vet

I made a stupid error the other day and Filly paid the price. I allowed her to roll in the outdoor school too close to the fence. Filly rarely manages to roll right over so I wasn't too worried. That day she did and she got caught up in the fence area. I was very pleased that she didn't really panic, but of course she had to squirm around a lot to get unstuck. Very little I could do to help. Eventually she found her way to her feet and trotted around the school looking a little upset.
I just quietly followed her and eventually she came to me and walked alongside. At least she could move and didn't seem lame. However she had a lot of grazes on her hind legs, none bleeding, but they looked raw and sore.
I quickly took her back to the barn and washed them with hebe scrub to try and avoid them getting infected. That seems to have worked.

However the next day she had a puffed up right hind leg. Spraying cold water on it didn't help much, but walking seemed to reduce it a bit. As 4 days went by we decided to get the vet to have a look. Ben came out yesterday.

He was not too concerned about the leg. Said to keep an eye on it and call him if it got worse.
Whilst he was there he took the opportunity to look at Filly's feet. I was a bit nervous as to what he would say as the abscess holes are now at ground level and there is lots of cracking of the hoof wall around them.
To my relief Ben thought they were doing very well. He did suggest we just rasp of the edges so they weren't sharp, something I routinely do anyway.
He then saw her walk and thought she was moving much better than when he last saw her. He then asked for her to walk on some rough ground so we went on the very stony steep track to the school and back. He actually seemed quite surprised as to how well she coped with that terrain.
I was very excited to hear what he had to say. It was professional confirmation of what I felt to be true. All the hard work is beginning to pay off at last and I can look forward to a horse that is comfortable and happy to move around.

On a side note I went to the Parelli day at Addington which was amazing.
However it cost me a fortune as I bought a Photonic red light unit. They look like a small maglite torch but cost £600  :eek: .
I had researched them a lot in the past, used a borrowed one on myself when I had my hip injury and have friends who swear by them.
However the benefits seem to good to actually be true and I was worried it was "snake oil".
With trepidation, expecting him to laugh at my extravagance, I showed it to the vet. He was actually very positive about them. He said the practise uses the exact same model I have bought and has had some amazing results, especially for flesh wounds, which was handy given the circumstances of his visit  :) .
I mentioned that the seller at the show was a hoof podiatrist and had recommended running it around the coronet band to stimulate hoof growth. Again to my surprise he agreed with that idea even though he had not thought of it before himself. He reckoned it was good for treating any shallow structure in the body but that there was still ongoing research as to how deep it's healing properties will penetrate.

No comments: