A chilled Filly

Sunday 4 May 2014

Leading Filly

Since the last post I've been continuing to take Filly to the field most days. Not to take her to the field as such, just to have a destination for the leading training. I've continued to use the waving of the stick idea where I swing the stick horizontally in front of me stopping it at the point I don't want her to walk in front of. If she comes to far forwards she gets tapped on the chest, the strength of the tap corresponding to how far she has pushed in front.
We had a few tantrums over this to start as she was used to being in front of whoever lead her, the position of the dominant mare. This was challenging her position in the herd and she didn't like it. Now, however, she has really settled down.
The walk to the field was very calm yesterday, far less spooking as she accepts my position as herd leader, and far less pushing in front. Once in the field I have never seen her so relaxed and calm. She grazed as horses should graze, slowly. In the past she was continually taking a bite then walking on with her head up. She could never settle to eat.
This may seem like a little thing, being able to lead your horse. But it has improved so much else, even her expression as I approach her in the stable has improved. She used to lay her ears back a little, not tight but not forwards either. Now she greets me at the door with bright eyes, pricked ears and a little whinny. She has always responded well to firmer handling. She has taught me so much about principle #5. It maybe 5 in Pats list, but in handling Filly I find it is much further up the list than that.
That is just Fillys' horsenality however. Try the same with Bonitao and you'll loose all connection with him instantly. His most important game is definitely Friendly game and the most important principle is "Principles, purpose and TIME are the tools of teaching".

2 comments:

Kat said...

Interesting thoughts! And I agree - the Horsenality can have so much to do with one's approach to a problem. Great job!

Tim said...

And it is the horsenality of the moment, not the innate horsenality that matters. Something James Roberts really drummed into us :)