A chilled Filly

Sunday 9 February 2014

It's very wet !!

I've not been writing much recently as there is little to write about. Everything is so wet at the yard there is not much we can do. The outdoor school is a lake, literally, and the indoor school is well used as folks try to give their horses a little exercise.

However the beauty of Natural Horsemanship is even under these circumstances I can still do little bit and pieces to advance our horsemanship.

I'm having to be a little careful with the riding. The surface of the indoor school is pretty poor. Thin sand on a poor concrete base in the most part. The rest is so deep with sand even I struggle to walk. The problem with this is that we can only do slow work and I am loosing my nice forward walk I had with Filly. She seems reluctant to go forwards with a nice overtrack and frankly I don't blame her. So I'm having to be very careful that this lack of forwards does not become a habit that will be hard to break later.

Thus I am mostly working on yields to leg pressure at standstill. Hind quarter and fore quarter yields. This is coming on pretty well, but I am also having to be careful not to dull her to these aids. It's all a balance.

On the upside this enforced slow time has made me concentrate on these little yields, both on the ground and ridden. It's not about getting the yield as such, but the attitude that accompanies that yield. Filly has always had a mental problem with yielding to steady pressure and so this is the current focus. Get to accept the pressure and yield from it willingly. The trick is to not release the pressure on the yield, but on the attitude, even if the yield was not that good.

We did a fair bit of this online yesterday. I just walked her in a circle and then asked with my fingers for her to just side pass onto a larger circle and bend her body around my hand. This was much better on the left side than the right and we did make progress. Not perfect yet, but definite progress.

As for touching her belly, that is now just a part of my routine. Any opportunity I get I touch and hold her belly. She barely reacts now, maybe a tail swish or two. I hope over the coming months to get her totally relaxed with this. This will of course help with the aforementioned exercises as well. It all comes back to "touch all over" on the plan !

No comments: