A chilled Filly

Thursday 13 February 2014

Fruits of my labour

Those of you who have been following the blog will know that I have been teaching both Filly and Bonitao to be much more responsive to moving their front legs around whilst being ridden. Basically I've been asking with the inside rein and the outside leg in front of the girth for the front legs to move around the inside hind leg so that they pivot on the spot.
They have both been getting pretty good at this. It takes a lot feel with my legs and reins to get a clean turn. Sometime asking for half a step of backup before asking for the front leg to step over helps. We have gotten to the point that we can make pretty good 180 degree turns with the inside hind barely moving.

What I have noticed is how much more responsive this has made both horses to general riding. Bonitao in particular had a tendency to fall in off the rail towards the centre of the school. Now I have an aid that keeps him on the rail without resorting to the reins, I just use a little inside leg ahead of the girth.
In fact just about every facet of both horses ridden work has improved. It's like magic :)

I would add that I have become very particular even when leading them around, mainly with myself. I am very concious that when I ask for them to turn sharply on the lead rope (in the stable or where ever) I release the pressure as the appropriate leg responds. If I have to apply it again to get more of a turn then so be it. I actually look for opportunities to ask for this yield with an emphasis and being really really polite about it. It's gotten so that it is now a habit and not a chore at all.

No comments: